giovedì 29 novembre 2007

E-tivity 8

Well, when I surf the net in quest of information I usually perform a gross research. I do check who is responsible for the information published and (if I can) I go and check if they are reliable. Obviously I check if what I've found is updated and consistent with the topic I'm interested in ( I usually start from Google). I don't really pay much attention to the style. Indeed, since most of the things on the net are copyrighted, it's obvious that I have to turn concepts and sentences into something new: I call it: reinterpreting. I never ask myself too many questions about what I want. I never know what I want; I just know that there's already an idea floating out there; I just have to grasp it. Let's say that when I've got an ideal sketch about the paper I want to produce, I just look for something related to it. Afterwards, I keep on mixing things until they find their shape. The sources I use the most are: google; YouTube; Wikipedia and, lately, delicious. When I find something useful I download the whole webpage, providing I'm allowed to. In doing so, I've got the original document I took my information from.

5 commenti:

Davide ha detto...

Hi Niko, I saw you use Wikipedia! Well I don't think it's a useful tool for your research, it's vague and inaccurate. What do u think about?

Niko ha detto...

When you look on Wikipedia, it is advisable to check what you find on other websites or sources. However, you always have a number of links at the bottom of the page so that you can check the origins of the information provided.

elisac ha detto...

Hi Niko!
When you search for something on Wikipedia, the websites on the bottom of the webpage are obviously necessary to find good and realible sources. I noticed that you don't look at the style of the webpage, maybe it is not the first thing you do to evaluate sources but I think that it can be a good sign of 'serious materials'.
See you on Monday!
Bye
Elisa

sara ha detto...

Hi everybody!
I agree with Elisa; I think that the style used in a website is the visiting card of that site, so it can tell you something about it. I think that if you have to do a search for your theses or for something similar you look for "serious" sites and you can recognize them from their style too.

Sara

Anna B ha detto...

Hi! I agree with you all! And I think that even without too many suggestions we can now choose a good website and avoid the one with wrong information! Don't we check more than one website when we look for something on the Internet? So we see if the information is contradictive!

Anna